Tuesday, January 6, 2009
About Bibles
After school, I went to this christian store in Juction 8 called Trumpet Praise. Haha. Then i stood there for exactly 92mins, (sorry i just had to measure the time) and I mulled over which bible to buy. I wanted a new bible, probably that which was based on that of The Message translation.
I saw Shujing's bible there! Haha. It was really pretty (: but guess what. I didn't buy it! Yes, I instead bought another bible. The translation of it is The Message too! Haha. It has some really cool stuff, like for instance, information about each book in the Bible (such as the author, history) and such! And now i shall show 2 verses that really jumps out at me from The Message:
Gen 2:16 GOD commanded the Man, "You can eat from any tree in the garden,
Gen 2:17 except from the Tree-of-Knowledge-of-Good-and-Evil. Don't eat from it. The moment you eat from that tree, you're dead.
I really like the fact that it is super direct! If we compare those verses from another version, such as the NJKV (a favourite)
Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
Hmm, so the message is super direct. Haha. If you're looking for a version that is like, super easy to grasp, The Message is up your alley! Haha. Otherwise maybe go for other versions, my personal favourite is the Amplified bible, it really rocks! Here is an example from the amplified:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and blessing and
calamity you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely
die.
Notice that there is some extra information added here, namely the two words "blessing and calamity". This tells us that the tree of good and evil also was the tree of blessing and calamity.
We can see that reading different versions of the bible can lead us to different revelations. haha. This was my revelation today: The tree of knowledge of good and evil was also a tree of knowledge of blessing and calamity!
Yay! Haha. I think that was interesting, :D i mean, honestly i didn't know about the good and evil being blessing and calamity as well, hahaha,
Cya guys!
Benjamin
Labels: Bibles
